Health and Wellbeing
Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education at The Downs
At The Downs our vision is to take a holistic approach to promote health and wellbeing. To ensure our pupils have every opportunity to develop the knowledge, understanding, skills, capabilities and attributes, which they will need for their mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing, now and in the future. We have therefore decided to design our own curriculum to teach our pupils about Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education.
We believe that learning the key concepts through this bespoke programme will enable pupils to:
- make informed decisions in order to improve their mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing
- experience challenge and enjoyment through developing resilience
- understand basic economics
- apply their mental, emotional, social and physical skills to pursue a healthy lifestyle and make a successful transition to the next stage of education
- establish a pattern of health and wellbeing which can be sustained into adult life and which will help to promote the health and wellbeing of the next generation
Our curriculum is progressive in that each year group will be taught the same concept at the same time but the aims and outcomes will develop each year.
We also have a bespoke referral process. If there are any concerns about how a pupil is progressing in their understanding of a concept being taught, then a referral form will be completed and the child might then be provided with additional support to enable them to progress in that area.
FREE Magic Breakfast!
As part of our healthy school initiative we have been successful in securing a place in the scheme FREE ‘Magic Breakfast’ for ALL Children! Research has shown that children who have a healthy breakfast achieve more at school – make sure your child doesn’t miss out!
A delicious, healthy breakfast is available every day, offering every child great fuel for learning. It means that all children in the school are given the opportunity to
have a FREE healthy breakfast in school from 8.50 until 9.05 every day.